Porcelain Inlays/Onlays at Downtown Dental Centre, London ON
Porcelain inlays/onlays: Natural looking restorations for London smilesDowntown Dental Centre Family Practice offers a broad range of general dentistry services to provide choices that suit the lifestyles, budgets, and needs of every patient. Restoration options include porcelain inlays/onlays. London area patients love the natural appearance and durability of this technique.
What are inlays and onlays?Inlays and onlays are sometimes called partial crowns. They are appropriate when an area of damage or tooth decay is a bit large for a conventional amalgam or bonded filling, but not big enough to necessitate a full cap. These small restorations are precisely designed to fit the prepared tooth. They are fabricated at an off-site dental laboratory, then bonded into place to restore appearance and chewing function.
An inlay is fitted into a cavity, while an onlay replaces the cusp of a tooth.
Benefits of inlays and onlays
- They are more attractive than amalgam restorations. Porcelain inlays and onlays are custom shaded and have the same lustre as natural dentition. These restorations are virtually undetectable in the smile, making them ideal for visible surfaces and front teeth.
- The material is stronger and more durable than composite resin fillings. Inlays and onlays easily withstand the chewing load placed on back molars.
- The procedure provides strength and protection comparable to a dental crown, with less reduction of healthy tooth structure.
- Inlays and onlays are made from the same material as dental crowns. The porcelain is non-reactive and resists stains.
- No special care is needed. With daily brushing and flossing, and regular dental check-ups, inlays and onlays can last many years.