London, Ontario residents discover the benefits of composite restorations
Beautiful smiles have been sought after for centuries. People are concerned about their appearances, and nice smiles boost confidence levels. Unfortunately, decay occurs causing damage to teeth. Thankfully, there are alternatives to silver amalgam to restore teeth. Located in London, Ontario, Downtown Dental Centre Family Practice offers composite restorations to safely and effectively repair cavities. Dr. David Favell, Dr. Shawn Brunt, and Dr. Alexis Markham provide quality general, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
What are composite restorations?
Over the past 60 years, dental technology and use of composite fillings has increased. Patients are now seeking safe alternatives to amalgam fillings which contain mercury. Composite fillings generally consist of a mixture of powdered glass and acrylic resins, with no metals used. They are safe for use in the human body. Aesthetic concerns over the dark color of amalgam also leads patients to seek tooth colored alternatives.
Benefits of composite
Composite resins have evolved over time, bringing about aesthetic and functional improvements. With known dangers and discoloration caused by silver amalgam fillings, composite restorations offer a number of benefits. Advantages include:
- The materials are biocompatible and safe for patient use.
- Composite resins require little to no preparation so they are easily used in procedures.
- They bond well to tooth enamel and dentin. This strengthens and restores the tooth, creating a strong chewing surface.
- Less natural tooth is lost in the preparation process.
- Composite fillings are tooth colored. They blend in and appear natural.
- Anterior or posterior teeth can be restored with composite restorations. This natural appearance makes the restoration less noticeable to others.
The dentists at Downtown Dental Centre Family Practice are committed to serving patients with quality technology and treatments. If you need general or cosmetic dental care, contact our practice to schedule an appointment – (855) 669-0775.