Keep Your Mouth Healthy with Dental Hygiene Services in London, ON
Keeping your teeth healthy is about more than an attractive smile. Dental health is important to your overall wellness. Issues such as cavities, impacted teeth, or gum disease, can cause pain and lead to further complications. At Downtown Dental Centre in London, ON, we offer comprehensive dental hygiene services designed to promote and maintain oral health. Below, we’ll discuss the reason dental health is so important and some of our most common services.
Oral Health and Total Wellness
Taking care of your mouth is important in preventing common issues such as chronic bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease. Good oral hygiene can also help you ensure that you keep your natural teeth as you age. But the benefits don’t stop there. Research has shown that an unhealthy mouth can increase your risk of serious medical conditions such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and preterm labor. Having a healthy mouth can help you reduce your risk of these conditions.
A Window into Your Health
Did you know that what’s going on in your mouth is a way for doctors to detect the early signs of certain systemic conditions? Both diabetes and HIV/AIDS are often first noticed due to sores or other problems inside the oral cavity.
Dental Plaque and Infections
Your mouth is home to hundreds of different species of bacteria. When you don’t brush and floss properly, the bacteria can form plaque, a colorless substance that sticks to teeth and can lead to tooth decay and infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
Dental Hygiene Services to Improve Oral Health
Maintaining good oral health through preventative care and routine oral hygiene habits can help ensure that your mouth and your body stay healthy. At Downtown Dental Centre, we offer the following dental hygiene services during your twice-yearly preventative services appointments:
- Teeth Cleanings – Using special tools and technology, professional dental cleanings are designed to remove plaque and tartar that build-up over time. During this cleaning, we’ll focus on areas that need special attention and give tips for improving oral hygiene at home. We’ll also polish the teeth so that you leave with a smile that looks and feels clean.
- Exams – During the exam, your dentist or hygienist will look at all areas of the mouth including the teeth, gums, cheek, and tongue looking for signs of cavities, gum disease, or other health issues. If we notice anything that seems concerning, we’ll let you know and potentially refer you to a specialist or other doctor.
The Importance of Home Care
Keeping your smile healthy doesn’t stop when you exit our office. In fact, we advise our patients to see us twice a year, which means most of the work towards oral health is in your hands. The following are things you can do at home to keep your mouth and your body healthy.
- Brush Properly – It’s not enough to put some toothpaste on a toothbrush and run it over the teeth. Brushing your teeth should include spending at least two minutes twice each day cleaning all surface areas of the tooth. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste with fluoride.
- Don’t Skip Flossing – It doesn’t matter if you floss at night or in the morning, just make sure that you are flossing every day to remove food particles that can become trapped between teeth.
- Eat a Healthy Diet – What you eat plays an important role in your oral health. Make sure you consume a diet with lots of healthy fruits and vegetables, whole grains, dairy, and lean proteins. Try to limit sugar intake and always brush your teeth or rinse your mouth after consuming sugary foods and beverages.
- Quit Smoking / Tobacco – Both habits can increase your risk of gum disease and oral cancers. Talk to us if you need resources to help you quit.
Call Downtown Dental Centre in London, ON Today
Seeing a dental hygienist regularly for routine preventative services will help you keep your mouth healthy, reduce your risk of systemic health conditions, and allow your dental team to identify any potential problems early before they become bigger problems. To schedule an appointment, please give us a call today at 519-679-1800 .