Root Canal therapy in London ON to rid Dental Infections & Oral Bacteria
Root canal therapy helps London area patients keep their teeth
Infection inside a tooth can be a serious threat to oral and systemic health. In many cases, root canal therapy allows London area patients to overcome infection, to avoid extraction and keep the natural tooth.
Root canal basicsEach tooth contains dental pulp housed in canals at the centre and extending into the roots. Pulp contains nerves and blood supply that nourish the tooth. If the protective shell of enamel is compromised by trauma or decay, microscopic oral bacteria reach the pulp chamber. As the tooth becomes infected, pressure builds, irritating nerves. You may develop a dull, persistent toothache, or an intermittent problem. Or acute pain and facial swelling may occur suddenly.
At this point, the only alternative to a root canal is generally extraction. Without endodontic treatment, nerves eventually die, and the tooth dies, as well.
Root canal treatmentRoot canal therapy removes the source of pain and eliminates infection, thus saving the tooth. The procedure involves:
- Addressing infection with antibiotics, if appropriate.
- Getting you out of discomfort promptly, with oral pain medication (if needed) and thorough numbing.
- Opening the crown of the tooth to access the pulp chamber.
- Removing diseased pulp, including inflamed nerves.
- Cleaning and sterilizing root canals, using special instruments.
- Sealing the tooth.
- A temporary restoration to restore appearance and function.
- Strengthening and protecting the tooth with a final inlay, onlay, or crown.
With gentle care from Downtown Dental Centre Family Practice in London, root canal therapy is nothing to fear. Call (855) 669-0775 .