TMJ/TMD Therapy at Downtown Dental Centre, London ON
It IS all in your head! TMJ/TMD therapy from London dentist
Millions of Canadians suffer from temporomandibular joint dysfunction. This condition can cause a variety of symptoms, so it often misdiagnosed, masked with strong pain medications, or simply dismissed by others as something you have imagined. In truth, the discomfort IS all in your head, originating from the joints that hinge your jaw to your skull. The dentists at Downtown Dental Centre Family Practice take your discomfort seriously, with effective TMJ/TMD therapy that brings natural relief to London area patients.
Symptoms of TMD
- Limited jaw mobility.
- Pain when you open wide or slide your jaw side to side.
- Jaw noises – grating, popping, or clicking.
- Earache, ringing in the ears, or loss of hearing.
- Shoulder and neck pain.
- Clenching or grinding at night.
- Recurring headaches or migraines.
- Chronic fatigue.
Treating TMDRelief begins with a compassionate healthcare provider who has a deep understanding of the jaw joint – a Downtown Dental Centre dentist. We thoroughly evaluate your teeth, bite, TMJ, and symptoms to diagnose TMD. Then we design a treatment plan customized to your situation. In keeping with high ethical standards, we will coordinate care with other medical professionals, as needed – physician, physiotherapist, chiropractor, massage therapist, or cranio-mandibular specialist.
In many cases, we can help patients find dramatic relief with dental treatments such as:
- Adjustments to the height of natural teeth or old restorations to balance the bite.
- An occlusal splint (bite guard), worn at night to reduce jaw strain from clenching and grinding.
- Advice on simple lifestyle changes to lessen stress on the joint and soothe inflammation.